This is the summer version of my winter cottage pie. I thought one day, Why cant I make the mince into burgers, and the mashed potatoes on top into fries. For the low-carb crowd, try my chickpeas salad.
- ½ kilogram lean ground lamb
- ½ finely diced red onion (or white)
- 4 cardamom seeds
- chopped finely fresh mint
- dried mint
- 4 cloves chopped finely garlic (or minced)
- 3 tablespoons breadcrumbs
- 1 egg (2 if you don't want to use breadcrumbs)
- fresh cracked black pepper (lots!)
- sea salt (or rock salt for seasoning - if you have table salt, only use a bit)
- olive oil
Summer Lamb Burgers is a community recipe submitted by JohnJJMartin and has not been tested by Nigella.com so we are not able to answer questions regarding this recipe.
Dont be afraid to use the bread crumbs in the recipe. If you can only find white bread crumbs, then get a loaf of good brown bread; break it up in a clean and dry food processor and blitz it till it goes into crumbs. Take the new crumbs and put them on a baking tray and put in the oven on a low heat to dry out for about 10-15minutes. If youre doing this, keep an eye on them, so they dont burn - They should go a further nice brown. Let them cool in a bowl making sure to mix them around lightly so they dont get all soggy from the heat. Remember the amount of bread crumbs that you use in this is nothing to that of a plate of rice/pasta or sandwich. If you dont want to use bread crumbs at all, use an extra egg for the binding of the mixture.