This is the best recipe I have ever had for spag bol- it was given to me about 20yrs ago by an Italian chef I worked with- it was his grandmother's recipe. Do please try, it's also the one I use for Lasagne.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 large chopped onions
- 4 sticks thinly sliced celery
- 170 grams chopped bacon (into small strips)
- 2 cloves chopped garlic
- ½ kilogram lean ground beef
- 2 tablespoons tomato puree
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 425 grams diced tomatoes
- ⅛ litre beef broth
- ⅛ litre red wine
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon grated nutmeg
- black pepper
Spaghetti Bolgnese is a community recipe submitted by redhead43 and has not been tested by Nigella.com so we are not able to answer questions regarding this recipe.
This is a very versatile sauce and can be used for Lasagne/Canneloni etc; It freezes very well too.