Dip/Dunk these traditional South African rusks in your fave hot drink !!! Delicious and healthy too !! Great for breakfast or inbetween snack.
- 2⅕ pounds self-raising flour
- 2 ounces bran (optional)
- ½ fluid ounce baking powder
- ⅙ fluid ounce salt
- 4 cups bran flakes
- 2 cups quick-cooking oats
- 1 cup sunflower seeds
- 1½ cups ground linseed
- ½ cup raisins
- 1 cup coconut
- 3 crumbled weetabix
- 18 ounces butter
- 1½ cups brown sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 17½ fluid ounces buttermilk
- 4½ fluid ounces milk
Health Rusks is a community recipe submitted by ReneK and has not been tested by Nigella.com so we are not able to answer questions regarding this recipe.
- Heat oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Mix all dry ingredients in your biggest mixing bowl.
- Melt Butter in pot and add sugar, stir until sugar is dissolved. Cool down for a few minutes.
- Add Butter mix to dry ingredients.
- Beat Eggs, Buttermilk and Milk together and add to mixture - Mix all until well combined.
- Divide dough into 2 oven baking trays. Press dough down and mark rusks with a sharp knife. (+- 5cm x 3cm). Bake for 1 hour. Let cool in Baking trays. Set oven to 100 degrees Celsius.
- Cut rusks on marked lines and lift rusks out onto bigger trays or foil-lined oven rack. There has to be some spaces between rusks. Dry rusks out for 4 hours. Cool. Store in airtight containers
I change this recipe all the time eg: Instead of the raisins I use pumpkin seeds or perhaps pecan nuts. You can change this recipe as you like as long as you use the same amount dry and wet ingredients. ENJOY!!!