This is my family traditional cake. My grandma made it with a glass in the center of the tin, to create a "ciambellone", my mother added the chocolate. I'm continuing to make it whenever in need of home comfort. Technically speaking, it is a "tan per tan": every ingredient is in the same quantity of the others, so you can easily change the portions and quantities, just maintain the 1:1 relation. I love it with a hint of cinnamon.
- 300 grams flour
- 300 grams sugar
- 3 eggs
- 300 grams ricotta cheese
- 16 grams baking powder
- 100 grams chocolate bar in pieces
- 25 grams powder sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon (optional, you can use any other flavour, as vanilla or lemon)
Chocolate and ricotta cheese cake is a community recipe submitted by SaraNoble and has not been tested by Nigella.com so we are not able to answer questions regarding this recipe.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C
- Beat the eggs with the sugar for some minutes with an electric hand mixer, until they are creamy and pluffed up.
- Add the ricotta cheese and beat again, just to mix the ingredients, nothing more.
- Add the flour and the baking powder and mix again (you can use also a wooden spoon, if you prefer).
- Add the pieces of chocolate and mix with a spoon.
- Pour the cake batter into a 24 cm greased and lined tin (24 cm) and sieve the powder sugar all over it: this will make the surface just a little bit crispy.
- Bake in the oven for 30 minutes.