This is as easy, and nearly as fast, as the box of nuclear orange mac and cheese. It has a vastly superior flavor. If you like comfort food, you will adore this!
- 8 ounces elbow pasta
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ½ can evaporated milk
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon english mustard powder
- hot sauce (to taste)
- 6 ounces grated mature cheddar
- 1 ounce grated monterey jack cheese
Stove-Top Mac and Cheese is a community recipe submitted by TexasBaker and has not been tested by Nigella.com so we are not able to answer questions regarding this recipe.
- Boil the pasta according to the package directions. Drain, then pour the cooked pasta back in the pot.
- Over medium low heat, combine the pasta with the butter until melted. Combine the evaporated milk, egg, mustard powder, hot sauce, and salt and pepper. Pour it over the buttered pasta.
- Cook, stirring constantly, until the sauce coats the pasta and thickens.
- Turn off the heat and add the cheese in four installments. Adding it too fast will cause it to break. Enjoy!
This mac and cheese does not keep well, but you can reheat leftovers in the microwave. Heat it for 30 seconds at a time until warm.