This recipe came to me through a teacher at school which I tweaked a bit to punch up the flavor. This chili is bean free, as all true Texas chili is. If you must add beans, red kidney beans are best. Just don't tell me about it.
- 1 pound ground top loin steak
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion
- 2 cloves crushed garlic
- 3 cups beef broth
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- ½ cup chili powder
- ¼ cup smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon cilantro
- 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 2 finely chopped chipotle peppers (in adabo)
- 1 teaspoon adobo seasoning (from the chipotle can)
- ¾ cup masa (cornmeal dough used to make corn tortillas - or masa harina, the flour used to make the dough)
- salt (to taste)
- pepper (to taste)
Texas Red Chilli is a community recipe submitted by TexasBaker and has not been tested by Nigella.com so we are not able to answer questions regarding this recipe.
Serve with tortilla chips, cheese, and sour cream.
*If you do not have masa, or do not want to buy it, you can thicken the chili with flour. Just add 3/4 cup of flour in with the seasonings and cook for one minute, then add the broth. It will not have the exact same flavor, but it will still be good