A lovely lemon cake with a crunchy icing top. The recipe came from Good Food Magazine in the spring of 2002 I think. It's really easy and travels well, so if you're currying favour with the boss, it's a good one to take into the office! Incredibly easy and quick to make, as the cake is mixed all together in one go... and yes it does work!!
For the Cake
- 4 ounces softened butter (make sure it's really soft)
- 6 ounces self-raising flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 6 ounces superfine sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 6 tablespoons milk
- 1 large lemon (unwaxed, finely grated rind of)
For the Icing
- 1 large lemon (juice of)
- 4 ounces superfine sugar
Lemon Drizzle Cake is a community recipe submitted by Welsh Girl and has not been tested by Nigella.com so we are not able to answer questions regarding this recipe.
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees C/gas mark 4.
- I use an oblong tin which measures 9" x 8", lined with baking parchment. could also be made in a round tin, but size of which, I'm not sure!!
- Tip all cake ingredients into large mixing bowl and beat for 2-3 minutes; mixture will drop easily off spoon. Spoon mixture into tin and smooth with back of spoon.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes until golden & firm to the touch.
- Beat together icing ingredients and pour over the cake while it is still HOT.
- Cool in tin & cut into squares. YUM YUM!!!!