youtube pinterest twitter facebook instagram vimeo whatsapp Bookmark Entries BURGER NEW Chevron Down Chevron Left Chevron Right Basket Speech Comment Search Video Play Icon Premium Nigella Lawson Vegan Vegetarian Member Speech Recipe Email Bookmark Comment Camera Scales Quantity List Reorder Remove Open book
Menu Signed In
More answers

Thick Cream or Double Cream

Asked by tandoori. Answered on 15th August 2012

Full question

What does Nigella you mean when she writes in a recipe "thick cream or double cream"? Thank you so much !

Our answer

In the UK there are several types of cream. Single, whipping and double cream come in pourable form. Whipping and double cream can both be whipped. In the last decade a type of cream has also appeared in supermarkets which has been labelled as "extra thick cream" or "spooning cream".

This cream usually comes as "extra thick double cream" and has the same fat content as double cream. However after pasteurizing it is heated and then cooled quickly, which gives the cream a thicker consistency. It is not as thick as clotted cream which is made by heating and then slowly cooling the cream and skimming off the thickened "clots" for cream. Clotted cream has a much higer fat content than double and extra thick cream.

Extra thick cream is usually served spooned over desserts. It can also be used for cooking but it is not suitable for whipping.

Bara Brith

Tell us what you think