A very traditional Portuguese and Brazilian dish, very nice to warm up your bones in the cold autumn eventides, too easy and cheap.
- 1¼ litres water
- 3 potatoes (cut into 4)
- 1 onion (not chopped, but cut into 4 and jointed like petals)
- 4 cloves chopped garlic
- 1 portuguese sausage (Calabreza)
- 1 sausage paio (or some other smoked pork one, like chorizo)
- 125 millilitres olive oil (Portuguese or Spanish)
- 750 millilitres sliced, chopped small kale
- 125 millilitres olive oil
- black pepper
Caldo Verde - Portugese Green Soup is a community recipe submitted by Diamante and has not been tested by Nigella.com so we are not able to answer questions regarding this recipe.
If you prefer your soup with some pieces [chunks], so just add the tiny sliced borecole, heat for 1 minute and serve over the sliced sausages.
**TIP: I use a kind of very smooth kale ("couve manteiga" = butter kale) so just one minute in the soup before turn off fire is enough, but some people like to pass the kale by boiling water to get more soft and smooth, before to add it in the soup.