This is perhaps the easiest fruit cake I've ever made and the boiling of the fruit makes it incredibly moist and easy to mix.
- 12 ounces mixed fruit
- 8 ounces superfine sugar (for preference but granulated works fine)
- 10 ounces self-raising flour
- 7 ounces margarine (or butter)
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons mixed spice
Nanny Mary's Fruit Cake is a community recipe submitted by Kajagoogoo and has not been tested by Nigella.com so we are not able to answer questions regarding this recipe.
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees C.
- Line a 17 cm tin with baking parchment, leaving a little higher than the top of the tin to protect the top of the cake from burning.
- Put the fruit in a pan with enough water to cover.
- Bring to the boil and simmer for 2 mins before draining.
- Whilst fruit is still hot stir in all other ingredients.
- Cook for 1 1/2 hours.
- Leave to cool a little before turning out onto a cooling rack.
Tastes great warm with a little cream or cold on it's own. I personally feel that a cup of tea is required with both.