I have tried others but every time I revert to this - although I believe boiled fruit cakes are not quite the done thing.
- 624 grams mixed dried fruit (soak in half cup rum or brandy for a few days if you wish)
- 125 millilitres rum (or brandy to soak dried fruit)
- 260 millilitres water
- 113 grams butter
- 260 millilitres cane sugar
- 519 millilitres flour
- 5 millilitres baking soda
- 1 egg
- 1 pinch of salt
- 5 millilitres mixed spice
- 250 millilitres nuts (of choice)
Boiled Fruit Cake is a community recipe submitted by passionfruit and has not been tested by Nigella.com so we are not able to answer questions regarding this recipe.
I usually do a double amount of this and make a large cake (23 cm) and a smaller one. If the cake starts getting too brown on the top, cover the top with a piece of tin foil. I like adding cranberries, glace cherries, sliced preserved ginger, a teaspoon of powdered ginger and a few dates into the fruit.