If you love hearing the crunch while eating vegetables and if you love pasta, this one is for you. The tomato sauce base will make kids love it too... a big plus!
- ¼ cup chopped onions
- 2 teaspoons chopped garlic
- 1 cup tomato puree
- 1 tablespoon tomato sauce
- ⅓ cup chopped carrots
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- salt (to taste)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil (2 tbsp + 1 tbsp)
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons cilantro (or mint or parsley, finely chopped)
- 3 cups macaroni
- ⅓ cup chopped bell peppers
- ⅓ cup chopped baby sweetcorn
Crunchy Veggie Macaroni is a community recipe submitted by Shubi and has not been tested by Nigella.com so we are not able to answer questions regarding this recipe.
- Heat 2 tbsp of olive oil in a wok. Add onions, garlic and stir until the onions are soft. Add dried oregano and tomato sauce and stir for a minute.
- Pour in the tomato puree and fry until the puree is cooked. Add the pepper, salt and sugar.
- Add water and let the sauce simmer for 10 minutes on low heat.
- Combine the chopped vegetables with 1 tbsp oil and put in a microwave-safe bowl. Cook in the microwave at high power for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the macaroni and vegetables to the simmering tomato sauce and toss well.
- Garnish with chopped coriander/mint/parsley.
Cooking the vegetables in the microwave helps them retain their color and texture rendering the boring white pasta into a colorful medley!