I never weigh or measure when making soup - after all you might like it thicker or thinner than I do. Bear in mind, though, that you can add more water and flavour at the end, but it's not so easy to take it out.
- butter (a little, or oil - for frying)
- 2 finely diced onions
- 2 inely diced carrots
- 2 large ripe tomatoes (skinned and roughly chopped)
- 1 tablespoon vindaloo curry paste (Patak's, or Madras curry powder)
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds (approximately)
- 250 millilitres lentils (any kind)
- sea salt (to season)
- sugar (to season)
Spiced Lentil Soup is a community recipe submitted by StoupaTart and has not been tested by Nigella.com so we are not able to answer questions regarding this recipe.
If you live in England where the tomatoes have no flavour, you might want to add a bit of Marigold powder at the end. Alternatively, use tinned tomatoes instead.