The origins of this recipe are not as exotic as they sound. Nonetheless, it tastes amazing! Last summer I became obsessed with 'Mayan Mystica' Magnum ice cream. Creamy milk chocolate ice cream flavoured with honey nutmeg and cinnamon, coated in yet more gently spiced milk chocolate. Absolutely delicious. When I could no longer buy the ice cream I tried to recreate the taste, hence this hot chocolate! The combination of flavours is so good that I am currently trying to make a cake with the same theme! Just one recommendation here....marshmallows NOT needed!
- 1 mug full fat milk (a large mug)
- 6 teaspoons cocoa powder (heaped teaspoons)
- 1 teaspoon honey (runny/clear)
- 1 pinch of ground cinnamon (a generous pinch)
- 1 pinch of ground nutmeg (a generous pinch)
Mystic Hot Chocolate is a community recipe submitted by tootsievalentine and has not been tested by Nigella.com so we are not able to answer questions regarding this recipe.
- Heat the milk either on the hob or in a mug in the microwave 'til piping hot.
- Add the cocoa powder and stir vigorously to dissolve.
- Add the honey and spices and mix again.
This tastes at its best using 60% cocoa solids minimum. I use Green and Black's organic hot chocolate drink. This tastes extraordinarily good with some plain butter shortbread.