A recipe that Mum makes often... I haven't made it yet, but have eaten it plenty of times. Dad takes it to work for lunch in a flask and it often asked for the recipe as it smells so delicious. Very tasty and warming, but is suitable for summer as well as winter! It's a matter of personal preference, but it's really nice to roast the peppers before adding them, just de-seed & cut into large pieces, drizzle with oil and roast in a moderate oven for about 10-15 mins, or until softened. Mum adds them skin & all, even the blackened bits!
- 1 large finely chopped onion
- 1 clove crushed garlic
- 57 grams butter (or the equivalent amount of oil of your choice)
- 28 grams flour
- ¾ litre vegetable broth (or chicken stock)
- ½ kilogram roughly chopped red bell peppers (de-seeded)
- 1 chopped red chile (de-seeded if you like to reduce the heat!)
- 1 tablespoon chopped thyme
- 227 grams chopped tomatoes (deskinned and deseeded, or use a can and reduce the amount of stock accordingly)
Sweet Pepper Soup is a community recipe submitted by Welsh Girl and has not been tested by Nigella.com so we are not able to answer questions regarding this recipe.