youtube pinterest twitter facebook instagram vimeo whatsapp Bookmark Entries BURGER NEW Chevron Down Chevron Left Chevron Right Basket Speech Comment Search Video Play Icon Premium Nigella Lawson Vegan Vegetarian Member Speech Recipe Email Bookmark Comment Camera Scales Quantity List Reorder Remove Open book
Menu Signed In
More answers

Shallow Roasting Tins

Asked by SharonL. Answered on 23rd March 2012

Full question

I'm looking forward to cooking the Spanish Chicken with Chorizo & Potatoes and the Homestyle Jerk Chicken with Rice & Peas from the book Kitchen. Would a baking tray with sides less than 2cm deep be ok to use? If you could tell me where to buy the shallow roasting tin featured I'd be grateful. Many thanks

Our answer

The tin in the photograph on p101 of Kitchen is a stainless steel sheet pan made by All-Clad. Unfortunately they are difficult to find in the UK as a sheet pan is a specific type of pan used in the US. A sheet pan is usually 26 x 18 inches (65 x 45 cm) and 1 inch (2.5cm) deep. They also come in half and quarter sizes but the depth remains the same. If you have a baking sheet with deep sides then this should be fine, but be careful when removing it from the oven as the juices from the chicken could spill out a little.

In the UK the bakeware company Mermaid make a type of baking sheet with slightly deeper sides that they call a "bakewell tin" which is available on-line or in some department stores and cookware shops. You could also try looking at swiss roll tins for a tin with deeper sides. In the US sheet pans in various sizes are available in many outlets but try to choose a heavy pan as the thinner, lighter types can warp in the oven at higher heats.

Tell us what you think