I know you're thinking making fresh donuts is too much of a chore but these are truly worth it. It's not so much of a chore, really. They are our traditional Thanksgiving breakfast and are delicious with good strong coffee, good company and good music. I usually roll half the batch in cinnamon sugar and I glaze the other half with a simple, light icing sugar glaze.
- 750 millilitres all-purpose flour
- 1¼ teaspoons pumpkin pie spice (or a mixture of the spices you would usually use in a pumpkin pie)
- 1¼ teaspoons salt
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon cream of tartar
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 188 millilitres brown sugar
- 4 egg yolks
- 250 millilitres pumpkin
- 63 millilitres sour cream
- oil (for frying - I actually use shortening and melt it in the skillet - probably why I only make these once or twice a year!)
Pumpkin Donuts is a community recipe submitted by charlie&henry's_mom and has not been tested by Nigella.com so we are not able to answer questions regarding this recipe.